15. V. Mathai, X. Zhu, C. Sun, D. Lohse,
"Flutter to tumble transition of buoyant spheres triggered by rotational inertia changes"
Nat. Commun. 9, 1792 (2018) [link]
14. V. Mathai, L. Loeffen, T. Chan, S. Wildeman,
"Dynamics of heavy and buoyant underwater pendulums",
J. Fluid Mech. 862, 348 (2019) [link]
13. V. Mathai, S. G. Huisman, C. Sun, D. Lohse, M. Bourgoin,
"Dispersion of air bubbles in isotropic turbulence"
Phys. Rev. Lett. 121, 054501 (2018) [link]
12. X. Zhu, V. Mathai, R. J. A. M. Stevens, R. Verzicco, D. Lohse,
"Transition to the ultimate regime in two-dimensional Rayleigh-Bénard convection",
Phys. Rev. Lett. 120, 144502 (2018) [link]
- Featured as Cover Article
11. D. Bakhuis, R. A. Verschoof, V. Mathai, S. G. Huisman, D. Lohse, C. Sun,
"Finite-sized rigid spheres in turbulent Taylor-Couette flow: effect on the overall drag",
J. Fluid Mech. 850, 246 (2018) [link]
10. B. Gvozdic, E. Almeras, V. Mathai, X. Zhu, D. van Gils, R. Verzicco, S. G. Huisman, C. Sun, D. Lohse
"Experimental investigation of heat transport in homogeneous bubbly flow"
J. Fluid Mech. 845, 226 (2018) [link]
9. H. Jiang, X. Zhu, V. Mathai, R. Verzicco, D. Lohse, C. Sun, "Controlling heat transport and flow structures in thermal turbulence using ratchet surfaces",
Phys. Rev. Lett. 120, 044501 (2018) [link]
8. V. Mathai, X. Zhu, C. Sun, D. Lohse,
"Mass and moment of inertia govern the transition in the dynamics and wakes of freely rising and falling cylinders",
Phys. Rev. Lett. 119, 054501 (2017) [link]
- Editors' suggestion article.
- See also Phys.Org
7. V. Mathai,
"Bouyant particles and fluid turbulence"
PhD Thesis, University of Twente (2017) [link]
6. E. O. Almeras, V. Mathai, D. Lohse, C. Sun,
"Experimental investigation of the turbulence induced by a bubble swarm rising within incident turbulence",
J. Fluid Mech. 825, 1091 (2017) [link]
5. E.G. Jebbink, V. Mathai, J.T. Boersen, C. Sun, C.H. Slump, P.C. Goverde, M. Versluis, M.M. Reijnen,
"Hemodynamic comparison of stent configurations used for aortoiliac occlusive disease",
J. Vasc. Surg. 66, 251 (2017) [link]
4. V. Mathai, E. Calzavarini, J. Brons, C. Sun, D. Lohse,
"Microbubbles and microparticles are not faithful tracers of turbulent acceleration",
Phys. Rev. Lett. 117, 024501 (2016) [link]
- UTNieuws magazine and UToday coverage of the research.
3. V. Mathai, M. W. M. Neut, E. P. van der Poel, C. Sun,
"Translational and rotational dynamics of a large buoyant sphere in turbulence",
Exp. Fluids 57, 51, (2016) [link]
2. V. Mathai, V. N. Prakash, J. Brons, C. Sun, D. Lohse,
"Wake-driven dynamics of finite-sized buoyant spheres in turbulence",
Phys. Rev. Lett. 115, 124501 (2015) [link]
1. V. Mathai, R. N. Govardhan, V. H. Arakeri,
"On the impact of a concave nosed axisymmetric body on a free surface",
Appl. Phys. Lett. 106, 064101 (2015) [link]
- Featured as Cover Article